Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Double Easter


Easter was unusual for us this year. Last week we had a wonderful celebration with the wedding crew on Easter Sunday (A1 and A2 hosted a marvelous Martha brunch and had a little Easter egg hunt for the little kids.) The weather was bright and sunny and warm down in Paradise.


But, since we were out of town last week, this year we celebrated Easter again with my side of the family. Easter is an important holiday for us. Not because of the obvious, which is of course because of celebrating our Risen Saviour, but also because, well, because....


This side of the family has rules of engagement for Easter


Rule #1. Easter celebration is always, always at the Gardening Aunt's house. This is because her house has the prettiest yard, the only yard free of dog doo-doo, and usually she is the first to have her yard in tip-top shape each spring. One of my sisters said it will be 200 years before Easter is this early again, but, despite the earliness of the holiday her yard was, as always, a delight.


Rule #2. All the siblings (there are 5 of us)bring candy for the hunt. As the kids have gotten older we've been known to throw in some money with the candy. We all sit in the spare room filling the eggs together. Gives us a chance to conspire in secret if needed.


Rule #3. ALL children of the next generation (our children) must participate in the hunt until such time as they have children of their own who can take their place in the hunt. Doesn't matter how old they are or whether or not they are married. This year we had one married couple, an engaged couple, and children from the age of 6 to 24 participating in the hunt.


Rule #4 Children exit the house in reverse age order. Youngest first.


Seth and Sophie are the two youngest.


Then comes Sam



Rule #4. We take all the kids' pictures with them standing in chronological order, then we take a picture of them standing in order of height. That has been fun over the years to watch as positions change in the line-up. This year we were missing 2. One was on Spring Break in Florida (the tallest - a 6 foot 4 inch 280 pound offensive lineman), and one was in a studying frenzy (I hear Pharmacy is a hard major). She is the tallest girl in the group, although one of the younger ones of the bunch. It wasn't the same this year without them. We joked about photo shopping them in, but it just wouldn't be the same.


Rule #5 Must look at all of the gardening aunt's "stuff" to see what's new. I don't want to say I "covet" her belongings. I think that is going too far. I don't like that word. Let's just say that she has a lot of neat stuff that if she ever decided to get rid of, I would be happy to help her out.


She kind of has a theme about her home. If you read her blog, MayDreamsGarden, then you have already guessed the theme.


I really, really like this doorbell. If I remember correctly she had this doorbell before the house was built and had the door frame built to accommodate it. If I had this doorbell, I'd do the exact same thing. It's pretty cool, don't you think?

This quilt is something that I admire and if she tires of it, she knows where she can send it. It's her garden. Really, seriously. The fabrics are vegetables. Our mother made that for her. Guess we know who she loves best......


I also admire these books. The only reason is that I remember the middle two as ones that sat on our bookcase the whole time I was growing up. But, I really don't want these books. I know they are right where they belong... in a place where they are deeply loved, never neglected, and maybe even used upon occasion.

Yes it was a wonderful Easter for the Zoo Family both in Paradise and at the home of MayDreamsGarden.


This blog post has been viewed and approved by Carol at MayDreamsGarden prior to publication.

11 comments:

Mary said...

I like your labels, Sherry - Carol, Easter, Martha Stewart :o) They all seem to belong together!

What a great tradition for everyone to remember. This was a fun read.

I'd like to express my desire for that doorbell, too.

Jodi said...

Carol and the Quilt of Many Colors!

I love this post, Sherry! Traditions are super-important to us too. I wish my kids had cousins to share the fun with--that's one of the most fun things I remember as a kid--holidays with the cousins.

That's what I love about your blog--you remind me of the things that are important in life and how to slow down and enjoy them!

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

what a great tradition. Our family has become so large, we have trouble collecting everybody.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What a great traditon Sherry. Nothing better than families that get together no matter what. That is what makes us feel secure in the world, having all that love surrounding us.

I have those two 10,00 Garden Quesions books too. Ha... They are old. I think I had that bug book too but I bought an updated version just a couple of years ago.

I too want to get in line for the doorbell. Sweet.

{Happy Homes} said...

I love the photos of the quilt and door bell--kids too of course, that goes unsaid--..love the story.
tonya

Anonymous said...

There was something else new this year. The older kids would shake the egg & if it didn't sound like it had money in it, they put it back. They also didn't take time to pick up the wrapped candy. This year the person who picked up the most candy got a special prize. ( $5.00). This insured that everything got found & picked up. It worked. Then the candy trade begins. "I'll give you my chocolate bunny for your Reese's egg", etc. Everyone has a great time. (Even adult children can play like kids). Love it.

Frances, said...

I love the way your family has those traditions and is so large! My own family was tiny, and I envied the large families of my friends with lots of siblings. So much so that we had four children of our own, so they could have the kind of fun you and your siblings do. Thanks for a great Easter story.
Frances at Faire Garden

Anonymous said...

I think it is great that you guys are having two Easters! Double the candy for the kids!

Missy said...

I love the little details that make up your family's traditions, like the kids having to participate until they have kids of their own - I think that is funny. And the photos of them in height-order is good. It sounds like your family is so fun, and I wish we had more family nearby!

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

That is a great idea about the way you do the easter egg hunt! I love that doorbell too!

Annie in Austin said...

It sure is nice of the May Dreams sister to let everyone else own the dogs so her yard will be clean for the egg hunt ;-]

Your traditions look like a lot of fun, Sherry!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose