Friday, April 25, 2008

Hostas



Aww...spring time. A time when I can justify NOT mowing the lawn because if I did, I would cut short the life of these beautiful violets. AND WHO, pray tell, could dream of doing that?
Violets come but once a year. Who am I to shorten their lifespan?






And, in the spring, who needs caffeine when you have such vivid colors right outside your door. One look at this and I'm awake!

Well, sort of. I won't lie to you, I still have to have my diet coke...I wouldn't want to get a caffeine headache. And besides, the life of a tulip is so short and then what will I have to open my eyes wide in the mornings?

Prince Charming and Miss Sophia planted these orange-tulips-that-should-have-been-pink-according-to-the-label. He laughed when he saw that they were in fact not pink, but vivid orange. I was crying, he was laughing.

But now I'm laughing, and he's crying. He is so, so laid back 99.99% of the time. Until it comes to ..........

"His" hostas....

When it comes to Prince Charming's hostas, he becomes a mother bear in full protective mode.

I informed him some friends were coming over and since it was a beautiful day, the kids would probably be outside.

Mother (I guess that's really FATHER) Bear went into immediate action to protect his most prized possessions......


Double fencing for double the protection.

The kids were great. They got the "hosta lecture", and although some of them I'm sure had not a clue what I was talking about, they were careful to avoid "those weird little things" sticking out of the ground that Mr.-------- has fenced off all over the yard.

You know who wasn't so great?

A zoo member.

We don't know which of the 3 dogs or 6 cats if the culprit. They are all guilty as far as Prince Charming is concerned.....



His beloved, giant hosta. Broken....maimed...injured...sad....devastated.....

Prince Charming is in mourning.

I think I know who the guilty party is....


I think they look like two BFF's who have been up to no good. What do you think?

12 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

With all that fencing in place I can't beleive that it was the BFF's that did the damage. It was awfully windy today.

Christine said...

Too funny! I love the violets, they ARE such a good reason not to mow the lawn. Have you started thinking of next weeks excuse? Let me know if you need some help.

Carol Michel said...

And yet, just a few miles up the road, I have already mowed my grass, excuse me, Lawn, five times.

You should post pictures of the Spring Beauties, too, one of my favorite lawn invading wildflowers. L-O-V-E the spring beauties and wish I had more shade for them to grow in!

Mary said...

Sherry,

You are too much. I wouldn't mow over the violets either but my husband would weed-whack the hell out of the them - the barbarian.

Hey, tell hubby the Hosta is unforgivable and will survive!

LOL

Mary

Kristen said...

Aaaawwwwww, Spring at the Zoo is so beautiful!

Makes me almost miss Indiana weather. :-)

tj said...

...Aw yes, love those violets! And that photo of the tulip is incredible - so vibrant! Thanks for sharing! :o)

...And loved the hosta story! Pups are prob' thinkin', "hosta schmosta"...lol ;o)

...Blessings...

Mel said...

LOL, lovely as usual!!
Violets are so beautiful, you are making a good decision ;)

Anonymous said...

:) This is great! I love your hostas!

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

Tell hubby the Hostas will survive ME! lol

I love that picture of the BFF!

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Well it is good to know that there is someone else out there who refuses to mow down flowers in the lawn.

Deb

Laurie and company said...

I must say, your yard is a sight to behold in the spring! love love love all the flowers, surprises, that you have over there!

give the BFF's a li'l spankin' for me...naughty doggies!

hugs,

LY

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Sherry, I understand your hubby's hosta obsession. Hopefully it will rebound.

Love the shot of the tulip.