Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day at the Zoo

Gardening Blogger's Bloom Day a Day Late...... Carol had to call and remind me to be sure and post for Gardening Blogger's Bloom Day. She knows I'm a chicken with my head cut off this week, so I appreciated the reminder. I had actually been anticipating with some eagerness this month's Bloom Day, because some of my favorites are in bloom.

This is may all time favorite... Brunera. False Forget-Me-Not.





This picture doesn't do justice, but I love the little blue flowers. They just seem so perfect. And they're so blue.



Your typical store bought flower. Shhh....we wont' remind it of it's origins. It's so happy here.



I like dandelions when they are in bloom. The yellow is so bright and sunny. And the greens are tasty too. They really aren't such a bad plant, are they? I think they get a bum rap.


Do you like our "PINK" tulips? That's what the package said, anyway.


The color is pretty, but it doesn't fit with the "pink and purple flowers only" theme in this part of the garden.



This is my idea of pink.



And purple.....


Love the little faces.


Let's see. Can you guess what is planted here? What Diamond is sitting on? Rolling in? Protecting? Destroying?


It used to be catnip that was starting to peak it's head through the dirt. I think it's pretty well demolished after Diamond got a hold of it.

Another beauty that I look forward to each spring. A Flowering Almond. This should be gorgeous in another few days.




Daffodils are still hanging on.

And with some eager anticipation, the best smelling plant in the world (or at least in my world!)


Happy Bloom Day everyone!


11 comments:

Diana said...

Sherry - the false forget-me-nots are so cute. And even though they are not what you thought you were getting, the tulips are lovely. But you're right. They are NOT pink! Doesn't that annoy you? Makes you want to call up the store and say, "hey - YOU get to come move this plant now!" Tee hee. Enjoy your convention. Sounds like you have a good plan, there. We all had a great time meeting your sister at the Fling, wish you could have joined her.

Charmaine said...

Wow. Just wow. I feel so inadequate. I have daylilies and a magnolia bush. That's it for flowers here. And we kill a few bushes a year by accident...

I did successfully raise pansies for 4H once!

Annie in Austin said...

Good thing the gardening sister gave you a poke! Nice bunch of flowers for the fifteenth there in Indiana.

You featured two of my all time favorite plants, Sherry - Brunneras and Lilacs. I love the combination of an old-fashioned Bleeding Heart with the Brunnera planted in front and a little to the side. They bloomed together and then when the heat made the Bleeding Heart go dormant the Brunnera covered up the messy departure.

Happy Blooming Day,

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

Wow! You are so lucky. No blooms here. Heavy frost yesterday. Everything is to chicken to peek out of the dirt!

Kristen said...

ooooo, I am so waiting on my Lilacs too. I keep checking them every couple of days. Yours look like they are further along than mine.

Beautiful pictures! Love it!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Oh Sherry you are having a busy week. I am glad that Carol kept you on track with GBBD. Your blooms are just gorgeous. I love Brunnera too. I have Jack Frost. Annie's advice about planting them with the Bleeding Hearts is good. I might try that this year. My almond bush is blooming. Yours just needs another day of sunshine and warm weather. I love seeing cats rolling in catnip. I have grown it before and it just grew happy as a lark without a cat bothering it. Crazy. Happy GBBD.

Sarah Laurence said...

Blue flowers - how unusual! Thanks for sharing them. Hope your week settles down - I know the feeling well.

Jodi said...

I have to admit--dandelions are one of my all-time favorite "flowers." I think because of the sentimental reasons. I remember picking big bunches of them for my mom when I was a little girl--and now I get big bunches of them too!

I also remember Mom mixing the greens with boiled eggs, bacon, onions and vinegar. Not too bad.

Carol Michel said...

Sherry, you have some nice blooms. Your Brunnera (who turned you on to those?) is blooming before mine, but mine is on the north side of my house.

Now stop buying bulbs at the big box stores, and order them in the mail. You will get what you want, that way.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

I gave you a little something on my blog! :)

Tera Rose said...

You have BLOOMS already????

Wow, the only blooms here are in my window- forcing them with my kids.

I'll bet after yesterdays weather we have more...

Lots of green coming up, but NO BLOOMS.

lovely pictures.