Sunday, June 15, 2008

Bloom Day and Dads

Most of the time when working in the garden, I feel like a Gardener-Wanna-Be.
I don't know the names of alot of my plants, let alone the Latin names.
Sometimes I don't know if it's a weed or a valuable, rare, treasure. So, I'm kind of embarrassed to participate in Garden Blogger's Bloom Day hosted by my big sister, Carol of May Dreams Garden.
I don't have a green thumb, it's truly brown. BUT, I was blessed with good soil because my Prince Charming and I purchased the family homestead where my father over years and years carefully nurtured the soil and left a legacy of "garden gold." Years ago when this spot was bright and sunny, he planted this Yucca plant (it is a Yucca, isn't it Carol?)

It's ALMOST in bloom. Probably too late for this month, too early for next month's Bloom Day.

The hostas below are also just about ready to bloom.



Most of the time, I see something I like, I plant, and Oh-Well-Let's-Just-Let -It-Do-It's-Thing becomes it's life theme. I know that just makes the "real" gardener's out there cringe inside. I like the natural look where one plant ends and the next begins in unclear margins, all intertwined and kind of messy looking.

I do have a nice herb garden though. Someday when I have the time I want to learn all about the medicinal value of herbs and actually use the herbs rather than just admiring them and wondering what the heck to do with them.


Here's one of my perennials. I have several perennial beds, but I tend to weed it out in May, then just sit back and admire it the rest of the year wishing that the gardening fairies would tidy the bed up a bit when they come out to play at night.


I do know what this vine is called. Honeysuckle.

And if they ever invent smell-a-vision, this would be worthy. The smell is right up there with lilacs in my book. And, I'm pretty sure, almost certain (kinda) that this started life as a stray seedling, blown in by the wind, never weeded, never banished to the compost pile, and finally earned the role of ruler of the fence.




My dad never went for the "wild" look. He would have "sensed" this stray weed and it would never have blossomed to rule the fence. My dad was an organized gardener. Everything symmetrical, neat and tidy, color-coordinated, white 70's rock right in place where it should be. He was a science guy raised on a farm so he knew how to grow 6 foot tall zenias, and the tallest tomato plants in the land. He had a green thumb along with the instinct and knowledge and desire to make a beautiful garden paradise out of our little yard.

Sometimes I wonder if he would be mortified to see his yard now with me at the helm. I wish I would have paid attention to all of his gardening activities when we were growing up. I'm amazed at how much my sister, Carol, learned from him (which I discover from reading her blog). We grew up in the same house at the same time. Why didn't I know that beans or peas or whatever it is should be planted east to west (or is it north to south)? Oh....I know why. I was always hiding somewhere reading a book. I regret that now. It's too late though. I'll have to just glean from my sister and hope that she isn't hiding any family gardening secrets.

On a day like today when the sky is a clear blue, the sun is shining, the birds are singing, the gentle breezes are flowing, and it happens to be Father's Day, it's a good day to look at the garden. Whenever I think of my father I think of the garden - his favorite place to be.






And sometimes when you venture out to the garden just to reminisce and see what is in bloom, you might find a surprise (or two)


And because today is not just Bloom Day but also Father's Day, here's to you Prince Charming. The dad that will go above and beyond to ensure that the Princes and Princesses are happy for ever after.....


We Love You!

Happy Father's Day


13 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am sure your Dad is thrilled with the way you feel about his garden. You are lucky to be able to be close to him by being in the garden. You don't have to know all the latin, botanical names to be a gardener. Just loveing and tending your plot of land is good enough.

Carol Michel said...

Yes, that is a Yucca and did you mention you know that the vine is a honeysuckle because you called and ask me about it this afternoon? And the perennial you took a close up is a Yarrow.

But all in all, you are taking good care of the garden and have filled it with lots of wonderful flowers!

Laurie and company said...

awww. whatta cool post and tribute to some awesome dads in your life now and in the past!

I love all of your plants...you underestimate your knowledge and skill, sister!

Love ya,

LY

Anonymous said...

You got your love of the unorginized garden from me, your mother. I used to fuss at your dad about NOT planting trees & bushes in straight, even rows. But you know, he never listened to me, in fact I'm not sure he even heard me. The only thing I made his re-do was the waterfall to the pond. He just had a stack of rocks. I convinced him to make it look more natural. That was my one contribution to the landscape

Missy said...

Hey, I consider a successful garden to be any plant that I don't kill. :)
Beautiful plants, they look great!

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

I think straight lines in a garden are so STAGED... go natural looking everytime!

Love the family photo. Hope you had a wonderful father's day!

Anonymous said...

Nice post Sherry. Walking around the yard and remembering the memories is how it should be. It is your yard now and you and Don are making memories for your kids. Enjoy and do your thing. I was enjoying our neighbor's yucca plant this evening and thinking one had not been mentioned for Bloom Day. Thanks..and for me a yucca reminds me of my grandpa Johnson (S. Grant) . He always had them in his yard and some of the plants were moved to the farm when I was growing up...another memory
Susie

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I had a friend that I used to tease because she was a perfectionist even in the garden. Everything she planted was in perfect straight rows.

I'm sure your dad would be thrilled that his homestead is still in the family and his soil and hard work continues to be appreciated.

Christine said...

I do love the color of that yarrow! I started a new one this year from seed, boy, I hope it's that color. Your garden looks great!

garden girl said...

Such a sweet post Sherry. I'm sure your dad is smiling down at you and happy his home and garden are in the hands of his daughter.

I can relate to the the differences in how kids respond to family gardening traditions. None of my siblings were interested in gardening as kids or young adults. It was like pulling teeth for my parents to gather everyone together to work on our gardens as a family. As children I was the only one of five kids who enjoyed gardening and absorbed what I learned.

Many years later though, now all of my siblings garden to one degree or another. My brothers have wives who garden, and my sister comes to me with lots of questions. She does a wonderful job and is a better gardener than she thinks she is.

Tera Rose said...

wow- what a great dad to dress up for the kids!

He wins my vote for dad of the year.

I agree with the others- your dad is probably happy to see you in the home with a loving family- nice tribute.

I don't know the names of my plants either- or the birds- but Im always loving being out there and trying.

but find out from your sister for me about the peas! east to west????

my sugar snaps are just appearing- the heat turned some leaves brown- hopefully I can pick them this week as the green bean plants (that I randomly planted under the peas) are almost 6 inches tall!
so PLEASE get me those secrets, I'll owe ya!

glad to see you didnt wash down the river in the floods btw.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Fathersday Post and almost forgot about Blooms Day!

Kristen said...

I get so jealous of how big and beautiful hostas get in Indiana.

They are gorgous as is everything else!

:)