Friday, October 10, 2008

Choices

What makes it a good day for you?




For me, it's simple....

For me, I am learning to appreciate ordinary days as the ideal. Uneventfulness is a good thing.

I think sometimes we forget to appreciate the ordinary and the mundane. The excitement we may crave in our lives may turn out to be an excitement that's not so good. So for me, for this time in my life, boring is good.








I'm thankful each day for my family.
For the health of my family.
For my friends.
For the health of my friends.
For good neighbors.
For not just a job, but a job I enjoy, working with people that I enjoy working with.

I'm very blessed.

We have a roof over our heads. A mortgage we can afford (with a fixed rate I might add).

We can read the Bible. We can home school our kids. We can get the medical care we need.

We have a cupboard of food. We turn on the faucet and there is running water.

Sometimes we just need to stop and take stock. No whining allowed. Because in a heartbeat, life can change.

So today, I am happy. I choose to embrace the uneventfulness of life. Each day we wake up to new choices to be made. Are we going to look at our blessings, choose to embrace the weeds of life (as the Gardening sister would say), and choose contentment regardless?

What choice will I make tomorrow morning? Will I choose to be happy? Will I choose to be content with what God has given me? Will I choose to serve others? Or will I choose materialism and selfishness? Will I choose to be discontent? Will I choose anger...anger at the economy, anger at the elections....or will I choose fear? Will I be fearful for the future?


Or will I choose to embrace the here and now, a minute at a time choosing each minute to make the most of it and be of service to those around me? I have the choice of how I spend my time. What will I do? Will I look back at the end of the day and feel that the day was spent doing what God would have chosen as the best use of my time? Or will I have whittled and wasted it away?

It's a choice. Minute-by-minute, hour-by-hour, day-by-day.


Lord? Can you please slow down these days and minutes? They are ticking by awful quickly. I think I'd like to enjoy them more, and so it would be helpful if life didn't fly by so fast. I want to take some time to smell the roses. The kids are growing so quickly. Grandma is slowing down. I want to freeze this time. Is that too much to ask? Maybe it is. So today, and hopefully tomorrow, I choose to be content, and say "Thank you, Lord". Life is good.

2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Hi Sherry, When I was your age with a house full of children,working two jobs, trying to keep house etc...I started writing in a daily journal. Not long entries just almost like Carols 10 yr Garden Journal, so you know the entries weren't detail laden. I could at least look back a week and see what we did do. Ha... I do hope you can take enough time to enjoy your childrens growing up. Most importantly you need to give yourself some time to florish. Your family will be blessed by this. Life is good. Breathe

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Thanks for a gentle reminder to give thanks and appreciate all we have.

Deb.